Ash Wednesday was never a huge deal to me before and I haven't been in the practice of giving things up for the Lenten season, but this year is oh so much different.
I am joining UMin's campaign for the campus, "Don't Be Wasted".
This is a three parted practice (1 and 2 are campus wide and the 3rd one is chosen by each individual for themselves) and in my case, I will be doing the following until Easter:
1. abstaining from alcohol (this may not include Christine's shower on March 17th)
2. memorizing a passage of scripture each of the 7 weeks (designated by UMin)
3. cutting back on my TV watching significantly (in order to get rid of my excuse not to do my devotion before bed and to encourage me to use my time in the evenings in a different way like catching up with friends, exercising, or learning something new)
Pray for me. It seems like I'm just looking for ways to add more rules to my life, first with my crazy eating guidelines and now with a 7 week multi-faceted pledge to creating a life that isn't wasted. Oh dear.
Are you giving anything up or adding anything in for Lent?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I will pray for you and just remember the more you enforce the changes you want to make, the more habitual they'll become, and before you know it your body will be naturally expecting the quiet time for devotions before you sleep, or the workout you do after work every day, or the healthy food you have in the fridge! You can do it!
ReplyDeleteI love this idea for Lent. I didn't even know what Lent was until I went to North Park (weird...I know). I'm so happy you have been able to stick to your month long adventure in RAW!!!
ReplyDelete