4.29.2009

true chicagoans after 21 years


Someone (I have no idea who) put the idea into my head that Chicagoans consider it a sin to ruin a hot dog by putting ketchup on it. Instead mustard is the acceptable condiment. A Chicago style hot dog has many toppings, but you will not find ketchup in the mix.

Anyways, last Wednesday, we went to the Cubs game. Of course, we got hot dogs and for some reason I felt compelled to eat my hot dog the way one should at a baseball game in Chicago (with mustard). I compromised by using both mustard AND ketchup (not there yet, but one step closer). When I asked Christine Wahlskog (my lifelong friend and fellow Chicagoan) how her hot dog was she said it was great and that she had mustard on hers for the first time...

It was a match made it heaven, after 21 years of friendship and probably 19 years of eating ketchup with our hot dogs, we put mustard on our hot dogs for the first time on the SAME NIGHT!

To solidify our emergence into adulthood and true Chicago cuisine, we went to Superdawg on Saturday and had our dogs true Chicago Style, no ketchup at all (except with our fries, I think that's still allowed).

1 comment:

  1. ive heard that too. but i will continue to live in ketchup land :)

    ReplyDelete